Friday, December 2, 2011

Flannel Friday--Holiday Extravaganza!

Today I bring you felt finger puppets!

The happy trio

The naughty little elf

Rudolph

Santa

The finger puppets are made from simple shapes cut in felt, layered together and stitched. They could just as easily be glued if you're not a sewer. But if you want to try hand sewing, nothing is more forgiving or fun to work with than felt.

Here's what I do with Santa. I love this simple fingerplay, and so do kids. Especially when they don't know that I have a finger puppet on!


Here Is The Chimney
Here is the chimney(Make fist, enclose thumb)
Here is the top.(Palm of hand on top of fist)
Open the lid.(Remove hand quickly)
And out Santa will pop.(Pop up thumb)

Here's what I do with Elf. I do this song all year, it's one of my favorites and makes the kids giggle and giggle when I pop the Elf out from behind my back and look at him suspiciously before he jumps to the next verse location (My head!)


There's  a Little Elf
Sung to: "If You're Happy & You Know It"


There's a little elf that's sitting on my nose, Uh Oh!
There's a little elf that's sitting on my nose, Uh Oh!
I don’t know what to say, and then he runs away

Now there's no little elf on my nose.

There's a little elf that's sitting on my knee,
There's a little elf that's sitting on my knee.
I Don’t know what to say, and then he runs away
Now there's no little elf on my knee.


Clip art for "Call Rudolph"


Call Rudolph
Eight little reindeer pulling Santa's sled
One fell down and bumped his head.
The elves called Santa and Santa said,
"Can seven little reindeer pull my sled?"
7…6…5…4…3…2…
One little reindeer pulling Santa's sled;
He fell down and bumped his head.
The elves called Santa and Santa said,
"Call Rudolph!"

I ended up not enjoying this one when I did it before.  It was TOO LONG, and the joke at the end just really fell flat so I'll be on the lookout for other rhymes to use my Rudolph puppet.

Our round-up is hosted internationally this week, by Library Quine over in Scotland!
posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment:

  1. The puppets are adorable!

    I used the "Call Rudolph" as a magnetic board activity at my Thursday night Family Storytime and we actually had a BLAST with it... Even the parents got involved with the "Can 3 little reindeers pull my sleigh?!!???" By the time we reached just 1 reindeer, all the kids were being really expressive with their skepticism. LOL We were very silly with it! And we all clapped and yelled, "Yay!" when Santa said, "Call Rudolph!"

    I would like to find a little, simple song about Rudolph to follow this one. I'll let you know if I find one. I hadn't thought of using a puppet at the end. (I just have a magnetic reindeer with a red nose.) I LOVE your idea of a puppet at the end! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...